GS paper 2
Syllabus: Drone Rules, 2021, application of drones etc
- The government is utilizing the services of drone providers for vaccine delivery, an inspection of oil pipelines and power transmission lines, agricultural spraying, etc. Private players can now also do so.
- In 2021, the government notified the Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme to promote the growth of drone manufacturing by private companies.
- The PLI rate is 20 per cent of the value addition over three financial years. PLI for a manufacturer shall be capped at 25 per cent of the total annual outlay.
- The beneficiaries include 12 manufacturers of drones and 11 manufacturers of drone components.
Key aspects of the regulatory framework under Drones Rules, 2021:
- Registration and having a Unique Identification Number (UIN): Every drone, except for those meant for research, development and testing purposes, is required to be registered and should have a Unique Identification Number (UIN).